Choosing A Tile For The Kitchen
A neat and cozy kitchen is a place to cook. Here you can always have breakfast, lunch, or dinner, have tea with family or friends, and feel only positive emotions. For your kitchen to be exactly like this, you need to think and plan everything correctly at the stage of a major overhaul. So hereby reading this guide you can get an idea about choosing the best tile for the kitchen.
Since in the kitchen, no matter how hard you try, you cannot avoid splashing water when washing dishes, splashing grease and depositing fumes during cooking, you must carefully protect vertical surfaces from moisture, oil, and other contaminants.
The walls located in the most used parts of the kitchen are especially susceptible to such influences: these are the sink, the stove, and the cutting table.
To protect the surface above the kitchen work areas from drops of water, grease, and detergents, crumbs, cleaning, a special panel is arranged, which is called a kitchen apron. Such an apron is convenient to wash, it can be easily changed if necessary, without organizing repairs of the entire kitchen.
The apron performs not only a protective but also a decorative function. It is organically combined with other elements of the kitchen interior, giving the room an aesthetic look.
Some manufacturers offer a kitchen set that is already equipped with a ready-made apron, but this is not a cheap pleasure. Therefore, most often the apron is equipped separately, even before the kitchen appliances and furniture are installed.
The main requirement for the materials with which the protective panel for the kitchen wall is made is resistance, a smooth and easy-to-clean surface, inertia towards household chemicals, aesthetics.
These requirements are best met with ceramic tiles, glass, Plexiglas, and plastic panels. The most popular option, due to its durability, practicality, and beautiful appearance is a tile. In addition, it is on the tile surface that traces of dirt are least noticeable.
Choosing a tile for an apron in the kitchen.
This solution is the most affordable and reliable, which is why the tile firmly maintains its position in the market for finishing materials for the kitchen.
- smooth surface simplifies cleaning: dust does not accumulate and fat splashes are easily removed
- the strength of ceramic tiles is very high, this material can easily withstand heavy loads
- ceramics are not afraid of the effects of household chemicals, do not care about humidity, low and high temperatures, and no matter how often you use cleaning products, washing the tiles from dirt, it will not change their original appearance
- the tile belongs to fire-retardant materials, it is characterized by high fire resistance
- long service life – with proper care and careful handling, a kitchen apron made of ceramic tiles can last almost forever
- the tile easily tolerates the effects of ultraviolet radiation, without fading and without losing strength when exposed to direct sunlight
- The tile looks great in the interior of the kitchen, it can become the main element of the whole composition, it gives the kitchen a cozy homey look.
The disadvantages of ceramic tiles include the following characteristics:
- quite a laborious process of preparation, installation, and installation
- its cost is higher compared to the price of plastic panels.
- The high cost is fully justified by the long service life and excellent operating properties, and the complexity of the installation can be easily reduced by thinking about all stages of the repair in advance and inviting specialists.
Read More Recent Articles:
- The Importance Of Working With An Interior Design Firm
- Tips For Choosing Porcelain Tiles For Floors
- Garage Door Springs Calgary: Do You Need It?
How to choose a tile for a kitchen backsplash?
Experts recommend choosing tiles with a glossy surface. The point is not only that it is easier to care for – smooth, glossy tiles look elegant, reflect light, and visually enlarge the room. However, it is worth considering that on glossy ceramics, traces of water and drops of grease, as well as stains from detergents, will be more noticeable than on matt ones.
Choosing a tile for an apron in the kitchen.
Also, do not buy relief tiles or individual decorative elements. It is much more difficult to wash it. To clean the fat deposited in the depths of the curls or raised depressions, you will have to make a significant effort.
Buy tiles from a batch. If during the repair process the material runs out and you want to buy more, there is a risk that the tile you need will already disappear from the store. Also, finishing materials from the same brand, but from different batches, may have a different shade, and this will be noticeable as soon as you lay the first row of new tiles.
To ensure that household chemicals during cleaning do not damage the tiles, choose material marked A or AA. A special coating protects the surface from aggressive substances. It is transparent, so it will not affect the appearance of the apron.
The appearance of the entire kitchen largely depends on how the tiles are selected for the apron. It should be the style of your choice. Geometric patterns are not suitable for Provence, and floral designs will be discordant with high-tech interiors. Think about this:
If you do not plan to create a catchy and sophisticated interior, you can choose the classic option – medium-sized smooth tiles. Budgetary and versatile, but it looks beautiful
Mosaic is a fashionable solution for those who prefer original design solutions. The small size of the individual elements allows you to exercise your imagination to your heart’s content, as almost any pattern can be designed from them. You can use a mosaic as a border, then the apron will not look too colorful
An interesting option for those looking for something modern: “pigs”, tiles with a slight bulge, which creates a very interesting effect due to its unusual texture. It looks good in small and medium kitchens
The panel, made up of tiles with separate fragments of the general pattern, looks extremely interesting. It will look best in rustic or ethnic kitchens. The panel usually shows plants, fruits, or animals
Tiles with a texture that imitates natural material, for example, stone, marble, or wood, are an excellent option for connoisseurs of non-standard solutions.
The decorative tiles to decorate kitchen aprons are presented on the market in a wide variety. It will not be difficult for you to choose an interesting option for your interior. The main thing is to adopt a responsible attitude towards the solution of the task before you.