Have you ever wondered what your rivals are using for the backend of their websites? Or, when you come across a website that blows your mind, don’t you wonder what technologies were employed behind the scenes? Finding out the reasoning behind the actions of people is always helpful. It is possible to find out what kind of platform a website was created on using several different methods and strategies. We’ll get into these further down the page.
What is exactly the term “technology stack?”
In the context of the digital ecosystem, the collection of programmes and software used to build a website, manage an online advertising campaign, and set up operational features and functions is known as a “technology stack.” A stack is the collection of technologies used to make a website, including the platform on which it is created, frameworks, computer languages, software applications, front-tech components, and back-end elements. Thus, there are different ways to check the technology with which the website is built with.
Use an online tool
Simply entering a website’s URL into one of these sites will reveal its underlying technological stack. To find out what technologies are used to create a website, you may, for instance, type the URL into builtwith.com. When you select “Lookup” on BuiltWith, the technologies are organized for you. Examine the website’s platform or content management system, web server, email services, and SSL certificate.
Several useful resources to examine website details
- Website technology information profiling tool: BuiltWith. Reveals the materials used to build a website.
- NetCraft: PCI Security Services, Internet Research, and Disruption of Cybercrime
- Investigate, profile, and map attacker infrastructure using DomainTools
- W3Techs refers to the use of several web technologies.
- There is Stack share for developer tools and the businesses that employ them.
- Technologies from a billion websites are combined in SimilarTech.
- Discover the technologies used on the website with Wappalyzer.
- WhatRuns includes, among other things, frameworks, analytics tools, WordPress plugins, and fonts.
- PageXray: Quick access to information about the technologies being utilized on the page you’re currently viewing.
- Information about a domain’s IP address, web server, and country can be found from Wappalyzer – chat forums, e-commerce, frameworks and libraries, etc.
Other ways to check the technology of the website
- If you are a web developer or an expert user, you undoubtedly have experience with source code, so this might be a quick solution for you. You may directly view the code by pressing COMMAND + Option + u on a Mac or CTRL + u on a Windows keyboard. Web browser developers’ tools can also be used for this. Look for any terms that might provide you with any insights in this situation. For instance, wp-content is used for WordPress pages, wf is used for Webflow pages, and so on.
- Open a browser like Chrome and select View > Developer Tools to get the web browser developer tools. You may also right-click any element on your screen in most contemporary online browsers and choose an option like “Inspect Element.” In Chrome, select “Inspect,” while in Firefox and Safari, select “Inspect Element.” When you’ve finished, you may click on a picture to look at its path or anyplace on the page to look at the HTML and manually look at it. The line of code that resembles wp-content may then be seen. For instance, this line states that WordPress is being used on your website. The search function may also hunt for a term across many source documents. This option is available in the majority of contemporary browsers.
Know about online tools to check the technology in detail
An outstanding online tool for Internet research is BuiltWith, which informs you about the technologies used to create websites and offers data on associated technological trends in a lovely chart.
It not only informs you of the technologies utilized, but also of any advertising. It’s interesting to observe how the website is tracked on a more general level to disclose each component. Try yourself, search for PrimApp and TipTop and get familiar with the online tools.
Wappalyzer makes it simple to discover the technologies used on your competitors’ websites. This solution focuses on snooping via technologies like ad networks, eCommerce platforms, CMS, analytics, and others while reporting them back to you quickly, ensuring that you never fall behind.
Any website on the internet may be searched for, and you can create a list of websites within the solution. This aids with your research, keeps you organized and allows you to take the necessary actions for your initiatives.
You may check up to 1,000 websites at once to save time. Just submit your list of URLs and use them for a mass search. Additionally, their API is available for programmatic access.
The best feature of Wappalyzer is that it alerts you anytime the technology of your competitors’ websites changes. You’ll be the first to learn, for instance, if they switch to a new eCommerce platform or content management system.
In addition to all of these incredible capabilities, this solution provides a browser plugin for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge that allows you to examine the technologies employed by the websites you visit quickly.
A free Chrome browser plugin called WhatRuns exposes the technologies employed on a website. Because this is only a browser plugin, things are much easier and less worrying. You can see everything on any website on the internet, including their typefaces, CDN platform, WordPress plugins, analytics tools, and much more. It turns every website on the internet into the glass.
You can follow or unfollow websites and get notifications anytime they start or stop employing any technology. To assist you in rapidly identifying anyone who could be utilizing them, WhatRuns has hundreds of programs and technologies under its belt.
It’s fascinating that using their service doesn’t even need creating an account. Start by downloading the Chrome extension.
In conclusion, knowing which technology is used for a specific website can help you in innumerable ways. The above-mentioned article has highlighted some of the most convenient and flexible ways to do so.